The towers with their domes are reminiscent of the Frauenkirche in Munich. The Burghausen master builder Domenico Zuccalli had the late medieval church of the state capital in mind when he was commissioned to build on the Gartlberg in 1661. The horrors of the plague and years of famine after the 30-year war were the origin of the pilgrimage to the Gartlberg. A Passion play and a replica of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem attracted people. Before 1661, a wooden chapel stood here. On 23 June 1660, after a "peasant girl who rose again after being dead" was rescued after falling into a deep water pit, the stream of pilgrims increased to the extent that the wooden chapel became too small. Construction began in 1661, and in 1687 the new pilgrimage church was consecrated. The best and most famous artists of that time had taken over the design: Carlo Carlone, Johann. B. Carlone, Paolo d'Aglio, Franz Ignaz Bendl. The picture of grace in the pilgrimage church Gartlberg is an approximately one metre high oil painting in a rich silver frame, decorated with fine open silver ornaments.
Further information accompanying Brother Konrad in 2018 can be found in our corresponding brochure
All catalogs and brochures are only available in German